One is never too old to learn
There is an old saying that we are never too old to learn. This is true in many aspects of life and was clearly demonstrated to the writer this week when called to a site where I was informed the sign had burned.
With no other information than the fact it had burned and the size of the sign I – very incorrectly – assumed the sign was a large banner and had been caught in a grass fire.
When I arrived on site and saw the damage, my first thought was the fir was because the NEON HT cable had made contact with the backing board. However, when I looked up, I saw the sign was not illuminated with neon but was in fact illuminated with LED modules.
This is then FIRST LED illuminated sign this writer has ever seen that has burned, and especially one that self ignited.
Fortunately I was able to call some contacts and had people who had a greater understanding of fire – and burnt signs – than I do, and they were able to pinpoint the flash point where the fire most likely originated.
This is a great lesson and worth spreading that while LED signs are immeasurably safer than neon, they too can burn, especially with the new blended wire that is now available. The best lesson here is that even LED signs need maintenance, and, especially if your LED sign is old, one should have the wiring checked – preferably once a year – to ensure the wiring is not brittle and to prevent any possible fires.
SignForce is available to maintain all signs and are well enough connected that if we do not know, we WILL bring in the experts!
To get your sign checked or maintained contact SignForce now on email@example.com or WhatsApp +27 (0)82 558 6413 or call +27 (0)11 440 7525
Find you more about SignForce by visiting http://www.signforce.co.za